About this blog

This blog is about the daily activities in a busy typewriter shop. I want to share with you the many interesting people who come in here, the beautiful machines I get and most of all the great typewriter stories that people share with me!

Sunday, July 30, 2017

The Amazing Story of Ilya Zorn (and her gold Royal typewriter).


Ilya Zorn - date unknown.



Ilya Zorn's 1949 Royal Quiet de Luxe










No matter how the machine looks, always check the typeface!




Double Pigeon Chinese Manual Typewriter form the early 1970's.

People think it's some kind of printing press.

There are 2450 characters in this type tray.

There are 1750 characters in this additional type tray.


I really like this dealer sticker from Miami.

A Hermes Baby from Hong Kong.


from down the road in Woosta.






                                                               THE END


10 comments:

  1. Fascinating story with the gold Royal. There are no before photos, but the after look like its new.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another wonderful blog post. Ilya must have been quite a woman!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would take ages to type a blog post on that Chinese typewriter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see why you'd need a type chart for the Chinese typewriter since the characters on the type slugs would be flipped. Would love to see this amazing machine at work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post. Such glamour!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been called a lot of names in my time but saying I work for Harvard is a very low blow. And after I gave you my Chinese typewriter! I'm a self-employed writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoooops! Sorry about that unintentional insult. The aging brain is a terrible thing.

      Delete
  7. Delighted to have found your blog! I just emailed you, I am on the hunt for a German keyboard Hermes 3000. Looking forward to reading more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Re. the Chinese Typewriter: MIT Press just published "The Chinese Typewriter" by Thomas S. Mullaney https://www.instagram.com/p/BZwrX3UFUa5/?taken-by=mitpressbookstore "Learn how Chinese characters triumphed over the QWERTY keyboard and laid the foundation for China's information technology successes today." Interesting ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. This Chinese typewriter closely resembles a Japanese kanji machine.

    But Double Pigeon is a wonderful name.

    ReplyDelete