About this blog

This blog is about the daily activities in a busy typewriter shop. I want to share with you the many interesting people who come in here, the beautiful machines I get and most of all the great typewriter stories that people share with me!

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Check Under the Hood

         http://www.vermontguides.com/2008/04-apr/preservation_vt.html


You never know where your machine has been till you check under the hood.
       

    



This 1946 Royal Quiet de Luxe found a new home.

This beautiful 1934 Underwood portable also just found a new home.
  
     

   

                         http://chronicle.com/article/A-Type-of-Nostalgia/130904/


     Well that's it for this week. Thanks for checking it out. Everyone have a fabulous week.
                                    

8 comments:

  1. That's me! I'm the guy in the Midwest! And you are quite right - any readers of my blog will hear, probably at length, about this machine!
    And I have an SM9 with a sticker like that. A little more contemporary but still neat. The folding Corona I should be sending your way soon has a beat up one on it, but I can't make it out too well. It's amazing the details those stickers add to what is already a fascinating story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cats out of the bag now Bob. Your machine is in the mail tomorrow. Love those dealer stickers too! Enjoy the Underwood!

      Delete
  2. Very interesting post. Thanks for the links. Both articles are nice and I especially like the work in Vermont of preserving things. Something most of this country (USA) does not do enough of. That is one fantastic Underwood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great set of stories. And congratulations, Bob!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I'll be coming to your store soon...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Tom, my beloved Spousal Unit recently discovered a Corona Sterling for me exactly like the one you have photographed above. What product do you use to shine up the black paint so nicely?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ledeaux- Awful nice of your better half to get you such an awesome machine. I had always used case cleaner from Ames until it was discontinued two years ago. The guy at Ames said to go to Home Depot and get Krudcutter cleaner. I cut it in half with water and clean the cases lightly. Go extra light around decals. Then when it dries, I buff the case with a clean cloth.

      Delete
  6. The 1934 Underwood is such a stunner!
    Wish I could visit your store one day.

    ReplyDelete