About this blog

This blog is about the daily activities in a busy typewriter shop. I want to share with you the many interesting people who come in here, the beautiful machines I get and most of all the great typewriter stories that people share with me!

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Hall of Fame Makeover...literally.


If this Corona could only talk.

This machine was very poorly stored for decades.


It still looks like a well worn machine but now it works great.

Check out the added Pharmaceutical keys on right side.


When the first Corona was retired, he purchsed this second one which I'm typing this second story one.
Well, that's it for this week. Hope you enjoyed the stories. Everyone have a great week.

8 comments:

  1. Great stories!

    I can't resist pointing out that with the doping scandals in baseball these days, a pharmacist's typewriter would be just the thing for a sportswriter...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the stories connected with these old machines, as if they were able to talk indirectly of their experience. Great photos, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great yarn Tom. And those ribbon holders seem to bend back without much harm. I got a Corona Four years ago that arrived badly damaged (they are pretty loose in the case) and after I finished pulling my hair out I dismantled what I could and straightened things out. Not quite the miraculous transformation you made on your customer's Four though - I'd rate that as a sensitive restoration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great story and wonderful typewriters. I am amazed you could straighten the key tops.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great restoration! How did you manage to straighten the crooked keys on the Corona Four's keyboard? I'm sure a lot of us would love to know... those can be quite aggravating at times :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Richard- Very funny. I hadn't thought of that. Thank you as usual.

    Adwoa & Bill- I'll give you my little tip to straightening out those keycaps. It's very simple. Use two sewing needles, stick them into the keycap just a little bit just inside the ring. Make sure they are at opposite sides and make sure you don't poke the needle through the keycap. Then twist or turn the letter till it's straight. Sometimes you get a letter that is really rusted in place, but 95% of them will turn till straight. Hope that helps you out. And thanks!

    Rob- The ribbon assemblies are held to the frame by a L-shaped bracket. If you remove the ribbon cup you have more access. Needlenose pliers will usually bend it back to a level position. Thanks as usual for reading my blog.

    Joe V & Jen Thank you very much for your nice comments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Once again a great story and beautiful typewriters. An amazing restoration!

    ReplyDelete